Me: Eric Keller

Hi and welcome to my Blog. This is a hastily compiled record of my digital art and computer graphics experiments. I am a freelance CG artist living and working in Hollywood CA. I have written several books on Maya and ZBrush. Below my blog you'll find links to the books and tutorials I have authored and co-authored. I also occasionally teach at the Gnomon School of Visual Effects in Hollywood.I named my blog "Bloopatone" in honor of my first dog "Blue". She passed away a few years ago and I still miss her even though she was very grouchy and liked to bite me!

I'm proud to be an instructor at The Gnomon School of Visual Effects in Hollywood. Take a look at the work of our students and instructors on the Gnomon School Blog and the Gnomon Workshop Blog

Here is a link to my Artstation Page

Here is a link to my Demo Reel:

Eric Keller's 2016 CG Demo Reel from Eric Keller on Vimeo.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Ant Print Project

So I finished painting the purple ant print that Electric Geisha made for me. Check this out I matched photos of the final print with the original renders I created in VRay last year. Kinda neat!

This process was very experimental some things worked some didn't but in the end I'm happy with the result. I had a few experimetns that worked really well I hope to try in the future.

Below are some images of the process of painting the model.

Here is the model before painting I used Bondo to create a diorama stand (that didn't actually turn out to well but I'm still fiddling with it). I glued the legs on since they broke in transit, the legs are very delicate.

I foolishly tried to drill a hole in the bottom so I could ad a peg to support the weight. This was a minor disaster, ended up making a nasty hole which i then filled with Bondo and sanded to repair. Don't drill this stuff or at least use a very small drill bit.

This came out really well. I used a Dremel with a carving bit to add detail on the back of the abdomen. I was trying to bring out some of the cracks in the chitinous sclerites. I was nervous doing this but it really helped especially when it was painted.

A coat of white primer

more primer

Purple metallic spray paint for the initial coat. This was kind of sparkly which looked cool but maybe a little too sparkly.

The purple base coat is applied to the top.

I used a blue model paint mixed with thinner and white paint to create a bluish wash. This toned down the sparkly quality and also brought out the detail especially the marks I created with my dremel.

some more wash and a little color variation is added.

Red model paint is used to add the markings. I used my VRay remder as a guide.

Finished the paint job with a light coat of clear lacquer. This brought some shininess back. Final model on a white Styrofoam background

what a cutie!

No comments:

Post a Comment